According to the World Health Organization (WHO), mental illness has affected around 1 in 4 people all around the world, at some point in their lives. This equates to around 450 million people, and the reality is that we are a world in need of healing. Studies report that two-thirds of people with a known mental illness do not seek treatment due to stigma, denial, or another related reason which makes it even more difficult for the mind, body, and spirit to find rejuvenation. In the United States, we often find ourselves becoming entrenched in our daily responsibilities and work endeavors, which holds us back from seeking help – a vital component to reaching our full happiness potential.
Fortune Magazine highlights this concern, even recalling the fact that Google now has a depression screening test that individuals can fill out if they start searching for related information online. Mental illness is such a major component to our happiness, health, and wellbeing, so what can we do as a global community to help improve this huge concern?
There are a number of things we can do:
- Start educating ourselves more on mental illness and how it can affect our lives and those around us
- Seek help from a licensed healthcare professional, not only for medicinal purposes but also to develop practice in holistic health, which may include nutrition and fitness management, meditation, yoga, massage therapy, and much more
- We can reach out to our loved ones who are showing signs of mental illness, and offer them our unconditional love and support
- We can promote wellness through volunteering, sharing information on social media, and by taking steps towards wellness in our own lives
- We can talk about mental illness from a caring and compassionate perspective, rather than with shame and judgment
Michelle Obama once stated, “At the root of this dilemma is the way we view mental health in this country. Whether an illness affects your heart, your leg or your brain, it’s still an illness, and there should be no distinction.”
Become part of the movement towards self-care and well-being today; you are not alone.
Avalon Integrative Wellness offers an innovative approach to wellness and the exciting brand shift of our program emphasizes the importance of integrative wellness through experiential frameworks. Clients at Avalon Integrative Wellness learn, act, experience, grow, heal, and evolve, concurrently. If you’re ready to optimize your health and well-being, call us today at 855-781-1790.