Optimal nutrition is an absolute necessity in order to keep our bodies up and running sufficiently. When we eat right, we often experience less or reduced severity in mental illness symptoms, and we have enough energy to effectively handle challenges that come our way. With so diverse types of food, we’re never at a loss for new ways to cook something, but stress, depression, anxiety, and more can cause us to crave everything we don’t need – sugary drinks, pastries, processed foods and more. Trained chef, certified nutritionist and motivational speaker Chef Lala told the Office on Women’s Health, “…If we don’t take care of ourselves, we won’t be around to take care of the people we love. If you truly want to be unselfish, be selfish when it comes to your health. Take time and exercise so you can be the best version of yourself.”
Healthy food stores are becoming much more popular now than ever before, as our society is beginning to understand the importance of health. While it may seem overwhelming, it’s quite simple if you break it down. The next time you’re at the grocery store, try out the following food items:
- Dark, leafy greens – Sharon Palmer, RD, told Health.com that they’re some of the most nutrient dense foods on Earth; they have vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals that help protect and strengthen our immune system.
- Kale, cauliflower, brussels sprouts – antioxidants work harder than ever to help reduce cancer risk; broccoli and cabbage are good for you, too.
- Black beans and pinto beans – rich in fiber and plant protein, these foods help reduce your risk of chronic diseases and obesity. Canned beans are just fine for nutrition – how easy is that?!
- Avocado – these light green, delicious fruits have been all the rage lately, and for good reason; high in fiber, vitamins E and B, and potassium means that you’ll have an excellent energy-booster on your hands.
- Frozen fruits – blueberries, raspberries and more are just as good for you frozen as they are for you fresh; most fruits are frozen right when they’re harvested, which means you get a lot of rich vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants – everything you need!
Dive into a whole new world of colorful foods while improving your mind, body, and spirit. You’ll increase your chances of living longer, healthier, and happier – and who doesn’t want that? Start your wellness journey today.
Avalon Integrative Wellness offers an innovative approach to wellness and the exciting brand shift of our program emphasizes the importance of integrative wellness through experiential frameworks. Clients at Avalon Integrative Wellness learn, act, experience, grow, heal, and evolve, concurrently. If you’re ready to optimize your health and well-being, call us today at 888-266-9048.